Skip to main content

Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pino (monument)

Listen to this preview (60s)

In Teror, the story of faith is written with dates as carefully as with devotion. The Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pino is a Catholic parish church whose history runs far deeper than its present neoclassical shell—beginning with a legend of an appearance, and culminating in two formal elevations that reached the highest church status. Start with the church’s dedication.

Inside and beyond, the focal point is the Virgen del Pino, the title “Our Lady of the Pine.” According to the legend tied to this site, she appeared here; that account is not just background mythology. It became the reason the community organized itself around this place and, over time, why her patronage expanded to the island itself. In 1914, she was declared the patron saint of Gran Canaria, and the church that honored her was recognized as a basilica.

Before that recognition, however, there was already a parish rhythm to Teror. The Teror parish was founded in 1505—a full century and a half before the current building began. The present structure you’re approaching was rebuilt in a clearly defined architectural language: neoclassical architecture.

Construction started in 1760 and continued through 1767, with the church consecrated in 1767.

More from Gran Canaria

Parróquia de San Juan Batista
Parróquia de San Juan Batista
Castillo de San Francisco
Castillo de San Francisco
Castillo de la Luz
Castillo de la Luz
El Museo Canario
El Museo Canario