Skip to main content

Palazzo Rosso

Listen to this preview (60s)

Palazzo Rosso rises in the string of noble houses along Strada Nuova, a palace with a quiet audacity: a family home that became a public treasure. The most striking doorway and the story it carries begin with a clear name and a clear date. The building, known in full as Palazzo Rosso or Palazzo Brignole Sale, was drawn up in the 1670s, with construction spanning from 1671 to 1677.

Its architect is identified as Pietro Antonio Corradi, and the project’s execution was guided on site by Matteo Lagomaggiore. The result is a U-shaped plan, set within a square inner courtyard framed by two wings connected by loggias, a design inspired by the postures of Genoa’s great houses and the layout Berthold Bianco adapted for this street. The story of ownership and theatre within these walls moves from private residence to civic beacon.

Originally, the palazzo’s heart lay with the Brignole-Sale family. The first noble people to occupy the principal floorings were Ridolfo Maria and Gio Francesco, the latter becoming sole owner after Ridolfo’s death in 1683. The decoration of the interior began in earnest in the late 1680s, expanding across the second noble floor and beyond.

Official website ↗

More from Liguria

Luigi Ferraris Stadium
Luigi Ferraris Stadium
University of Genoa
University of Genoa
Museo diocesano
Museo diocesano
Olive Museum
Olive Museum