Palazzo San Giorgio
Palazzo San Giorgio stands at Genoa’s waterline not as a singular gesture of power, but as a dialogue between two eras. Its most striking fact, perhaps, is how the building literally fronts the sea. From the moment you approach, the sea-front Renaissance wing seems to rise from a maritime horizon, a visual link between Genoa’s commercial instinct and its political life.
This is the palace that gave its name to the Bank of Saint George, a civic institution born from the city’s need to manage wealth, debt, and trade. The building’s origin is anchored in the mid-13th century. Commissioned by the capitano del popolo, Guglielmo Boccanegra, the man who would become Genoa’s first populist leader, the palace was intended as a seat for civil power distinct from the cathedral’s religious authority.
Construction occurred between 1257 and 1260, a span that fused medieval civil architecture with the city’s bustling port life. The project was entrusted to Friar Oliverio, a Cistercian monk associated with the Abbey of Sant’Andrea in Sestri Ponente, whose earlier works included extensions to the Old Pier’s sea approach. Two distinct faces define the structure.
On the city-facing side, the façade opens onto the Sottoripa portico, a reminder that this building began life at the heart of Genoa’s economic surge.




