
Chiesa di San Tommaso in Ponte
San Tommaso delle Convertite is a small Gothic church in Pisa that reveals a quiet facet of the city’s religious life. The building dates back to 1160, when documents first note a church on this site beside an annexed hospital. In 1610, Christina of Lorraine, then grand duchess of Tuscany, commissioned the adjacent convent to house women who had been rescued and converted, giving the church its local name, Chiesa di San Tommaso delle Convertite. The façade and the church itself were rebuilt a century later, in 1756–1758, under the direction of Camillo Marracci, with designs by Ignazio Pellegrini, aligning the exterior with a late-Baroque sensibility while preserving the Gothic lineage of the structure. …
AI-generated from open data and cross-checked, with review where noted. How we write narrations
🎧 Listen in WayWhisper




